We're changing the game for the New Zealand ski industry – we're getting a chondola!
First in NZ
We're installing a $10million "combined" lift of gondola cabins & chairs in time for the 2017 winter season. The new McDougall’s Express Chondola will be the first cabin-style lift on a ski area in NZ, replacing the existing McDougall’s Quad chairlift.
A Lift for Everybody
The current McDougall’s fixed-grip quad was installed in 1985, & has been a Cardrona stalwart ever since. McDougall's is the main access point to all our beginner terrain, & runs slooowly to load & unload first-time chairlift users safely.
The goal for a new McDougall’s lift is to make it an access lift for the whole mountain & ALL of Cardrona’s visitors, not just beginners. The new McDougall’s Express Chondola will be a high speed, detachable 6-seater chair, with an 8-person gondola cabin between every 4 chairs. The lift will be a quick access point for the entire mountain, including Captain’s Basin.
New Chondola, New Location
The new McDougall’s Express Chondola will be 100m closer to the base area, making it faster & easier to get up the mountain. The Chondola will increase uphill capacity for McDougall’s by 150%, which means you don't have to wait as long on all the other mountain lifts!
1 of a Kind Beginner Experience
The McDougall’s Express Chondola will provide a one of a kind beginner experience in New Zealand, with first time skiers & snowboarders able to walk on & off a gondola cabin, & ride to the top of the mountain on their first day. From the top of McDougall’s they can access the mellow Skyline trail or New Zealand’s longest beginner trail, A Real Journey, out to Captain's Basin.
The McDougall’s Express Chondola – Quick Facts
- Doppelmayr "combined lift"
- 1:4 ratio of cabins to chairs
- 10 total cabins, 40 total chairs
- Gondola cabins hold 8 people; chairs hold 6
- Drive station 100m closer to the base buildings
- 7 towers (old McDougall’s Quad has 11 towers)
- Uphill capacity: 2550 people per hour (old McDougall’s Quad has 1000p/hr uplift = 150% increase)
- Gondola cabins & chairs will be stored in the lift’s top station, & can be reconfigured in layout depending on weather conditions
- Construction due to begin October 2016, completed in time for Winter 2017