Guide to Winter 2021
Visiting Cardrona this season? Here's our guide to Winter 2021 with important information about the season ahead!
If it's your first season back after a year off (welcome back to our Aussie mates!), then you might have missed the news that you can now ski and snowboard at Treble Cone as well on your Cardrona multi-day and Unlimited season passes! If you've never been up there then the view alone is worth the drive – we're pretty biased but we reckon it's one of the best views in the country.
Our new home in Wānaka
If you're staying in Wānaka, come see us at our new space - 50 Cardrona Valley Road! We've had a bit of an upgrade... as well as being able to pick up your lift passes, rental gear and do some shopping (like you could at Cardrona Corner), our new space is also home to a full bar and restaurant called Après. Serving a full menu including wood-fired pizza, poutine and more, and a fully-stocked bar with NZ craft beer, wine and spirits, you'll want to stop in at Après on your way home from the mountain. Happy hour is from 5-6pm each day and they've got live music every Saturday from 4pm!
Our vision is that when you come to pick up your passes and rentals, you'll be able to wait your turn in the bar with the kids playing on the playground outside, grab a feed and make the whole process as relaxing as possible.
Did you hear? This winter we've got a new lift! The Willow's Quad is our first step into Soho Basin and it opens up 65ha of new terrain. It'll be open as soon as snow allows (there's no snowmaking over there yet), and you can read all about the new lift and terrain in this update.
No landfill bins
From 2021 onwards we won't have any public-facing landfill bins. It also means we're not selling anything in our cafés that needs to go to landfill - all our suppliers have packaged their products in recyclable or compostable packaging. Please take your rubbish home with you if you bring a packed lunch, and try to buy items that don't have landfill packaging in the first place.
Free shuttles and carpooling
This winter our top carparks at each mountain are reserved for single parent parking, adaptive guests, and vehicles with 3 or more occupants in them. This only applies to the very closest carparks to the Base buildings - if you have fewer than 3 occupants you can still drive up, you'll just need to park in Carparks B, C, the Whitestar/Tow Hut carpark, the Yard or Valley View.
Our shuttle buses from the bottom of each mountain are now FREE (they were previously $10). This is a free return service and runs regularly from 8.30am heading up the mountain.
We've got a huge range of events coming up this year! These are some of our highlights and why:
- Park Attack Slopestyle (July 24) - it's awesome to see the next generation of skiers and snowboarders show their stuff in the park
- Mountain Bikes on Snow (July 31) - so much carnage and a whole lot of fun, whether you're a participant or a spectator!
- TC Banked Slalom (August 15) - a community snowboard event with some serious bragging rights up for grabs
- Winter Pride (August 24 - September 4) - the most colourful week of the year! Winter Pride is a celebration for all... our favourite days are the Pride Flag Parade and Onesie Day.
- Snowboxx NZ (September 7 - 14) - the first-ever Snowboxx NZ has some of the best Kiwi artists playing... and there will be sets and activities on the mountain. Music + snow = a dream week!
- SSNZ Junior Freestyle Nationals (October 2 - 9) - the pinnacle event for our young freestyle athletes, with kids coming from all over New Zealand to battle for the national titles for their age groups.
- The Fun Never Stops (October 17) - the wackiest way to send off a season... a top to bottom race from skis to bikes, with challenges along the way.
more info and questions
If you have any questions about Winter 2021 at Cardrona, pop in and see our Guest Services teams in Queenstown or Wānaka, or give them a buzz:
Phone: 03 443 8880
We can't wait to see you up here this winter!