Cardrona What's On: Last Week of Winter 2020
We're heading into the final week of the season, and we're celebrating our 40th birthday with a huge après ski party!
We want to kick off this week's blog by saying a huge congratulations to the Cardrona-Treble Cone ice hockey team. On Saturday we played NZSki in the first-ever ski area ice hockey battle, and our team won 9-2!! Big thanks to the Coronet Peak and Remarkables crew for hosting us... and we'll see you for your revenge in 2021.
This week we hosted the Cardrona SSNZ Junior Freestyle Nationals, with kids of all ages and from all over the country competing for national titles. Although there were a couple of days where the weather didn't play ball, it was awesome to see all the kids supporting each other and putting down solid efforts in boarder/skier-x, halfpipe, and slopestyle disciplines.
We've got a HUGE week planned to see out the winter of our 40th birthday, and you can read more about the events we have on this week below. But the big one we want to talk about up front - our 40th birthday party is on the night before Closing Day, on October 17th! Here are all the details:
- Theme: Retro après (there's some inspiration to be found on the event page here)
- Time: From 4pm
- Entertainment: Sweet Mix Kids, the Crown Rangers, and more!
- Tickets: $100 (or $125 including transport)
- Dinner and a drink on arrival, plus drink discounts throughout the night are included
- You can get your tickets online now!
We're VERY excited about this party - it's going to be one of the highlights of 2020 and we'd love to see you there!
Don't forget - we're still running our social media competition where you can win GoPro HERO8 Black cameras by recreating retro photos as we celebrate Cardrona's 40th birthday. Find out how to enter here or check out our Instagram for more details:
If you're joining us for our last week, jump in the Cardrona Snow Reports Facebook group or follow our Twitter account so you can keep up to date on what the snow and weather conditions are like each day, how our facilities are running, and what's happening with our on-mountain events.
Snow-Forecast.com reckons there will be a bit of precip over the weekend, clearing by Tuesday. There's a bit of varied weather for the rest of the week so keep an eye on our Facebook group for updates! Our picks for the next week are Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday!
If you're in the backcountry this week, don't forget to record what you observe through the NZ Mountain Safety Council's Avalanche Advisory page.
|some clouds||some clouds||rain shwrs||light rain||light rain||heavy rain||light snow||light snow||cloudy|
|Feels like (°C)||1||2||2||2||4||2||1||0||-3|
After some very warm weather, the North Face Cardrona Parks crew basically rebuilt the entire park this week, so massive hats off to the lads for getting everything back together for the last few days of the season!
Spring is all about super fun park laps, and the kids have been leading the way this year. Here's Cardrona Team rider Rocco Jamieson with a stylie hit in Antlers Alley:
Here's our events schedule for the last week of the season:
- Sunday, October 11: the 3rd annual Ngā Wāhine ō te Maunga (Women of the Mountain) fundraising event for B4BC (Boarding for Breast Cancer).
- Saturday, October 17: Minipipe World Champs (snowboard-only). This is an awesome community event with a gold coin entry for Wanaka Mental Health.
- Saturday, October 17: Cardrona's 40th Birthday Party - get your tickets now!
- Sunday, October 18: Official Closing Day (show us your best costumes!) and The Fun Never Stops
We'd love to see you this week as we give the 2020 winter a final send-off. It's been a roller coaster, but your participation has made it a season to cherish.