3 wheels, 3 times the fun! Experience New Zealand’s first gravity-fuelled mountain carting adventure at Cardrona.
Experience Cardrona’s newest gravity-fuelled activity – mountain carting! No prior experience is needed for this fun downhill activity, just a sense of adventure and a thirst for FUN!
For the 2019/20 season we've got three mountain cart trails to choose from, the longest of which is over 3km and spans all the way out to Captain's Basin, and back to Whitestar Express. Ride the lift and get faster on every lap as you become more familiar with the course and our unique mountain carts!
Mountain carting runs in sessions starting on the hour, every hour after 10am. The last session starts two hours before closing each day – check out our full operating hours here.
Book your mountain carting experience below or contact us and find out more about mountain carting from our friendly Guest Services team.
What is a mountain cart?
The 3-wheeled, alpine specialized, German-made mountain cart is designed for performance, comfort and safety:
- The low centre of gravity and wide wheelbase enables high stability
- Hydraulic disc brakes mean security, even on steeper tracks
- Ergonomic design allows for a relaxed and comfortable sitting position
- High-quality aluminium construction makes for easy handling
Cart sizes are relative to the driver’s height:
- X- Small: 100-120cm*
- Small: 120–165cm
- Medium: 155–180cm
- Large: 170–195cm
- X- Large: 180–210cm
*If your kids are shorter than 100cm, they can ride with you on a bigger cart!
Note: the weight limit for our mountain carts is 110kg.
What should I expect for my mountain carting session?
- Make sure you bring sturdy footwear and clothing layers – especially a windproof jacket as mountain conditions can change very quickly
- Once you get to the top of the Cardrona mountain road, head to the Ticket Office to pick up your carting passes (if you haven’t already done so in Queenstown or Wanaka)
- Head over to Cart HQ (to the right of the Archway), where you will be fitted out with a mountain cart, helmet, and optional goggles and overalls
- You’ll get a safety briefing from the team member at Cart HQ, do a little practise and head to the lift for some 3-wheeled FUN!