This year the Cardrona Freeride Squad programme will run in a camp-style format!
This year we'll run several camps to cater for different age groups & to fit with everyone's season plan.
The Freeride programmes are designed to help athletes with:
- Understanding the judging process & comp format
- Line selection & recall skills
- Understanding snow conditions, changes & weather, & how this impacts line choice
- Learning about calculated risk & fun factors
- Freeride technique & off-piste skiing development
- Air & landing technique, freestyle tricks in & out of the terrain park
This camp is designed around our younger crew that is keen to get a leg up on everyone else before our famous PIKI MAUNGA RANGATAHI (Big Mountain Youth) competition. It will be focusing on developing general skills as well as preparing for the competition.
Hank Bilous will be the lead coach, supported by our regular coaches if the numbers demand.
Monday July 9 – Wednesday July 11
Freeride School Holiday Camp
With the school out & a bit of time to get their ski legs back, the second week of school holidays is ideal to get amongst! This is a 3-day camp that will introduce the essentials of freeride. The areas that Hank has planned for this camp are:
- Basic technique improvement
- Turns/air in various snow conditions
- Competition tactics
- Season planning
- Avalanche gear test
- Basics of avalanche rescue
Monday July 16 – Wednesday July 18