All the information you need and the registration form for our Athlete Homestay programme.
For athletes wanting a home away from home while they train, our Cardrona High Performance Centre programme coordinator can put you in touch with a friendly, local Wanaka family who enjoy having a new family member over the winter months. They offer a caring family environment, support and home cooking after a day of training and study.
We believe that the relationships created in a homestay environment can be life long and we encourage athletes’ families to keep in regular contact with their child and the homestay family before and during their stay.
We have a limited number of homestay families available, so please apply no later than 4 weeks before the start of your training and we will try to arrange a suitable match for you.
If you'd like to become a Homestay host family, please read all the important information and apply here.
Important Homestay Information
Before you apply for a homestay position at the bottom of this page, here is some important information:
To be eligible for homestay you must be registered in full-time HPC coaching.
Ideal homestay location
- Close to Wanaka town centre for ProActive gym sessions, town centre transport pickups, and dryland/social activities
- Walking distance if possible
Ideal bedroom situation
- Own room
- Bed and all linen
- Reasonable storage for clothes etc
- Help yourself breakfast
- Packed lunch
- Home-cooked meal in the evening. If your family goes out for dinner they must include you in their arrangements and pay for your evening meal. If it is not suitable for you to be present at the family’s arrangement, then an alternative meal must be provided. If you want to go out with friends, any meals will be at your expense
- You are responsible for organising transport to and from training venues and any venue at which you are studying outside of training
- If homestay family is asked to provide transport on a one-off or on regular occasions, additional compensation and limitations will need to be agreed on by you and your homestay family
- HPC will advise details of training and any events to the homestay family using Facebook, Twitter and email as per info pack
- If you are sick, please contact HPC and your coach
- Your coach will maintain regular contact with you regarding your training commitments
- Not all households have broadband and internet services can be expensive, so if your family agrees to allow you access to their internet, please respect any guidelines (for example, they may only allow email checking, no downloads)
Heating and electricity
- Most New Zealand houses do not have central heating and either use log burner fires or electric heating for warmth. Local families pay an electricity bill per month based on the amount of usage. Although we want you to be warm and comfortable, we request that you be sensible and considerate with your usage of heating and electricity
- If you need medical attention, your homestay family should take you to their doctor or nearest medical centre
- In any type of emergency, please contact the Homestay Coordinator and advise the situation as per the contact details provided
- Payments are required to go directly to the homestay family as arranged prior to arrival. HPC is not responsible for any payments or exchange of money