If you'd like to host one of our WST or Parks Squad athletes this winter, register here!
Before you apply to be a host family for the winter season at the bottom of this page, here's some important info:
Ideal family location
- Close to Wanaka town centre for gym sessions, town centre transport pick-ups & dry land/social activities
- Walking distance if possible
- Athlete may be enrolled in MAC or language centre for tuition.
Ideal bedroom situation
- Own room
- Bed & all linen
- Reasonable storage for clothes etc
Good nutrition is an important part of an HPC athlete's training. They have healthy appetites as they train hard all day & burn a lot of energy which needs to be replaced.
- Help yourself breakfast
- Packed lunch
- Home cooked meal in the evening. If your family goes out for dinner you must include the athlete in your arrangements & pay for their evening meal
- If the athlete wishes to go out with friends, any meals will be at the athlete's expense.
- The athlete is responsible for organising transport to & from training venues & any venue at which they are studying outside of training
- If homestay family is asked to provide transport on a one-off or on regular occasions, additional compensation & limitations will need to be agreed on by the athlete & homestay family.
- HPC will advise details of training & any events to the homestay family using Facebook, Twitter & email as per info pack
- Your coach will maintain regular contact with you regarding your athlete’s training commitments
- All overseas calls by the athlete should be made collect or by using pre-paid 0800 phone cards
- Athletes are responsible for paying any phone expenses incurred in the household directly to the homestay family. Cardrona HPC accepts no responsibility for any athlete-incurred expenses
Heating & electricity
- Most of our athletes come from countries that have air conditioning as a common feature & are not used to the colder houses in New Zealand. They have been informed of how heating & electricity works here, however we ask that you please allow them to feel warm & comfortable in your home
- If your athlete needs medical attention, they should be taken to your own doctor or nearest medical centre
- In any type of emergency, please contact the Homestay Coordinator & advise of the situation
- Payments will be made as arranged between you & the athlete either weekly, fortnightly or lump sum
- After you apply, the Homestay Coordinator will contact you to arrange a time to visit you & check that your home is suitable for a homestay situation
We require all families to treat athletes with respect & kindness. It is important to us that the athlete feels comfortable & safe with your family.
Your rules & guidelines for the athlete should, within reason, be based around what they are accustomed to at home & should be discussed with the athlete & the athlete’s family, so that they fully understand your expectations & you understand the needs of the athlete.
You will be required to agree to a Police Vetting Check on all people living in the house who are 18 years or over.