All the information you need & the registration form for our 2019 Athlete Homestay programme.
For athletes wanting a home away from home while they train, our Cardrona High Performance Centre programme coordinator can put you in touch with a friendly, local Wanaka family who enjoy having a new family member over the winter months. They offer a caring family environment, support & home cooking after a day of training & study.
We believe that the relationships created in a homestay environment can be life long & we encourage athletes’ families to keep in regular contact with their child & the homestay family before & during their stay.
We have a limited number of homestay families available, so please apply no later than 4 weeks before the start of your training & we will try to arrange a suitable match for you.
If you'd like to become a Homestay host family, please read all the important information & apply here.
Important Homestay Information
Before you apply for a homestay position at the bottom of this page, here is some important information:
To be eligible for homestay you must be registered in full time HPC coaching.
Ideal homestay location
- Close to Wanaka town centre for ProActive gym sessions, town centre transport pick ups, & dryland/social activities
- Walking distance if possible
Ideal bedroom situation
- Own room
- Bed & all linen
- Reasonable storage for clothes etc
- Help yourself breakfast
- Packed lunch
- Home cooked meal in the evening. If your family goes out for dinner they must include you in their arrangements & pay for your evening meal. If it is not suitable for you to be present at the family’s arrangement, then an alternative meal must be provided. If you want to go out with friends, any meals will be at your expense
- You are responsible for organising transport to & from training venues & any venue at which you are studying outside of training
- If homestay family is asked to provide transport on a one-off or on regular occasions, additional compensation & limitations will need to be agreed on by the you & your homestay family
- HPC will advise details of training & any events to the homestay family using Facebook, Twitter & email as per info pack
- If you are sick, please contact HPC & your coach & advise your absence
- Your coach will maintain regular contact with you regarding your training commitments
- All overseas calls should be made collect or by using pre-paid 0800 phone cards
- Athletes are responsible for paying any phone expenses incurred in the household directly to the homestay family
- There are several internet cafes in Wanaka that are very reasonably priced, we recommend you visit these to use the internet & there is public WIFI at Cardrona
- Not all households have broadband & internet services can be expensive, so if your family agrees to allow you access to their internet, please respect any guidelines (for example, they may only allow email checking, no downloads)
Heating & electricity
- Most New Zealand houses do not have central heating & either use log burner fires or electric heating for warmth. Local families pay an electricity bill per month based on the amount of usage. Although we want you to be warm & comfortable, we request that you be sensible & considerate with your usage of heating & electricity
- If you need medical attention, your homestay family should take you to their doctor or nearest medical centre
- In any type of emergency, please contact the Homestay Coordinator & advise the situation as per the contact details provided
- Payments are required to go directly to the homestay family as arranged prior to arrival. HPC is not responsible for any payments or exchange of money