We’re winding down to Closing Day 2016 this Sunday, but what a week we have ahead! With the Cardrona NZ Junior Nationals on this week it’s sure to be an exciting one up on the mountain. This is your guide to Closing Day 2016 & all you need to know for an awesome final salute to winter! Check out all the action, fun & hilarity on Sunday, October 9!
Fashion in the Field
Fashion in the Field is BACK for Closing Day 2016! Put on your fanciest outfit or funniest fancy dress, strut your stuff on the catwalk in the Courtyard & be in to win! It all kicks off at 1pm at our Base area – be there or be square!
Say Farewell to McDougall's Quad!
Make sure you take a ride on McDougall’s Quad – Sunday is the VERY last time you’ll be able to ride it before it gets replaced by the brand new Chondola! McDougall’s has been a Cardrona stalwart for so long, helping all our beginners see the whole mountain. Say goodbye in style – she’s been faithfully running for 31 years since 1985!!
Whether you had your first turns on the mountain up McDougall's or experienced it for the first time recently, this lift holds a special place in the hearts of the Cardrona family & all our guests! The last ride up McDougall's Quad will be at around 4pm for the Fun Never Stops event so don't miss last chair!
Fun Never Stops
We know you don’t want to say goodbye to winter – but the fun never stops! We’re seeing the season off in style & welcoming in the 16/17 mountain bike season with an awesome snow & dirt adventure! Start by taking the last ever ride up McDougall’s Quad, ski or board through a series of obstacles (including a good ol’ fashioned POND SKIM!), swap to your bike & ride all the way to the Cardrona Village Domain!
You can enter as an individual or as a team (1 skier/snowboarder, 1 mountain biker) The mountain bike section is for capable downhill riders only.
Registration & Gear Drop: 10am-2.30pm
Rider briefing: 3.30pm
Race starts: 4pm
Bring full snowboard & mountain bike gear – we recommend full face helmets, knee & elbow protection for the bike leg. A change of clothes & a towel may also come in handy!
- Start at the bottom of McDougall's Quad, complete either an eating or a puzzle challenge to advance
- Once challenge is complete, find your skis or snowboard & load McDougall's Quad for the last time
- At the top of McDougall's, follow the red race gates down the Gravity Cross Course
- Towards the bottom of McDougall's, complete the Pond Skim (or another challenge as an alternative)
- Go under the commando net with your skis or snowboard on
- Complete the "Snakes & Ladders" maze
- A second eating or puzzle challenge
- Head to the bike transition at Tow Hut Corner (Season Pass carpark above Whitestar Drive)
- Bike down Morning Glory down to Crankshaft (Valley View), towards the Cardrona mountain road
- Cross the Cardrona mountain road onto Persecution Road/John's Road
- Ride John's Road all the way to the Cardrona Village Domain finish line
- Transport back up the Cardrona mountain road for drivers to collect vehicles
We can't wait to see you all up here to see off another great winter! Bring on Closing Day 2016!