Geoff Wayatt is Cardrona's resident weather expert – check out his "recipe" for the perfect snow day at Cardrona...
The Cardrona Snow Cake
by Geoff Wayatt – Master Snow Cake Chef
To make a 1m snow cake, mix together:
- 1x very strong, cold southerly air flow from the Southern Ocean (pre-cool to –10°C)
- 1x “Pineapple” storm for the North Tasman Sea (pre-warmed, moisture-laden tropical air)
- Mix them over the Southern Alps, lifting the mixture to be light and fluffy.
- Plunge all the ingredients onto the Southern Lakes mountains with a turbulent flow of nor-wester winds to form a 50cm snow cake base.
- Add a southerly change to provide 10cm of icing on the cake (20cm if you have a sweet tooth).
Slice cake with a pair of fat skis & bon appétit! Your perfect snow cake day at Cardrona.
Check out our Snow Report daily to see if one of these cakes is on the menu...