Check out what Cardrona’s been up to in the press & media with our latest press releases & links to media coverage.
For all media requests, email Cardrona's Communications Executive.
Download our Winter 2018 Media Kit.
Cardrona’s Latest Press Release
July 12, 2018
NEW ZEALAND’S LARGEST ALPINE RESORT TO BE DEVELOPED BETWEEN QUEENSTOWN & WANAKA
A new partnership between Cardrona Alpine Resort and Queenstown businessman John Darby will lead to the development of New Zealand’s largest alpine resort, incorporating Cardrona and a new Soho Basin Ski Area.
Soho Basin faces Queenstown and covers all the southern and south-west faces of Mt Cardrona, and includes the two Willow Basins that directly adjoins Cardrona Alpine Resort’s southern boundary. Soho Basin will add an additional 500ha of high altitude skiable terrain, offering up to 500 vertical metres of skiing.
The Real Journeys Group, owner of Cardrona Alpine Resort, has committed to continue its investment programme into Cardrona. Development of the larger, integrated Cardrona-Soho Ski Area will be in accordance with the agreed masterplan for the combined ski areas.
“This has been something we’ve been looking at for some time and we’re both extremely pleased that we can work together to build a world-class ski area with integrated facilities and amenities that will be both New Zealand’s largest mountain resort and a truly world-class ski destination,” says Real Journeys Group Chief Executive Richard Lauder.
This partnership will see Cardrona more than double in size to over 900ha of skiable terrain. Access to the Soho Ski Area will be from the top of the recently installed McDougall’s Chondola, with facility development at the top of the mountain to support this.
Soho Basin, as part of Glencoe Station, was first acquired by Darby over a decade ago.
“The diversity of the slopes in the Soho Basin make it an exceptional ski area for all levels of skiers. Its high altitude, southerly-facing aspect means it receives and retains a good cover of early snow. Soho’s offers spectacular views out over Queenstown, the Wakatipu Basin, and across the Main Divide,” says Mr Darby.
“I’ve skied Soho Basin with friends and family for now well over 20 fabulous winters seasons. With Cardrona, I’m now looking forward to opening up this same opportunity to the public. It’s a very special place and great care will be taken to preserve this wonderful alpine environment.”
“To be a truly world-class alpine resort, you need to have extensive lift networks, multiple aspects and varying terrain – this new terrain and the developments that go with it will really make Cardrona an extraordinary experience in Aotearoa,” says Cardrona General Manager, Bridget Legnavsky.
“We’re thrilled at this opportunity to continue creating epic experiences for all our people now, and into the future.”
Cardrona is three years into a five-year development plan that has focused on preparing Cardrona for the Soho expansion by improving guest flow & capacity. This has included installation of the McDougall’s Chondola to increase uplift, the refurbishment and repurposing of the Base Area buildings, and expanded carparking with a connecting shuttle service.
The expansion also has implications on Cardrona’s summer operations, with the opportunity to grow further as New Zealand’s only mountain resort to offer a full summer of activities including mountain biking, mountain carting, dining, events and stargazing experiences.
All necessary approvals are now in place to commence the staged development of ski area facilities in the Soho Basin and the development of the ski area and supporting facilities is expected to begin once the current Cardrona masterplan is completed. In the meantime, cat skiing will continue to be provided for those who wish to experience the Soho Basin before commercial ski operations are developed.
2018 Media Releases
- Cardrona's Pre-Season Teaser - May 28, 2018
- Soho Development Announcement - July 11, 2018
- Pringles Development Announcement - August 16, 2018
2017 Media Releases
- What's New for Winter 2017 - March 6, 2017
- Gold Struck at Cardrona (April Fool's) - April 1, 2017
- Cardrona Opens NZ's First Chondola - June 10, 2017
- Closing Day 2017 / 2018 Developments Announcement - October 13, 2017
2016 Media Releases
- Valley View Extension Announcement - March 1, 2016
- Anton Cooper Training at Cardrona for Rio 2016 - March 8, 2016
- Cardrona's New Beginner Facilities (Conveyor Tunnel) - March 15, 2016
- Cardrona Celebrates Successful Summer Season - April 4, 2016
- New Transport for Winter 2016 (Pine Trees Shuttle) - April 18, 2016
- All Trails to Open for June 11 Opening Day - May 26, 2016
- Opening Day 2016 - June 11, 2016
- Monster Energy Jossi Wells Invitational Announcement - July 22, 2016
- Record-Breaking Start to 2016 Winter - July 26, 2016
- McDougall's Chondola Announcement - August 11, 2016
- "Best Jump in the World" at the Jossi Wells Invitational - August 13, 2016
- Massive Competitor Turnout for Inaugural Billabong Banked Slalom - August 22, 2016
- Year-Round Event Management Division Announcement - August 22, 2016
- Most Successful Season on Record for Cardrona - October 9, 2016
- Cardrona Spring Camp - October 25, 2016
- Summer Activity Announcement (Mountain Carting) - December 20, 2016