The Cardrona Foundation's Plant a Seed project is all about making our maunga as beautiful as it can be, and educating the next generation.
what we're doing now
- A major replanting project is underway, with teams of summer staff instating native plants.
- A nursery is being built at the base of the mountain, on our land near a water supply at the bottom carpark.
- We’re harvesting seeds around the mountain to grow in the nursery.
- Local schools have asked to be involved in our replanting projects, so we’re including the kids & helping to educate them about horticulture & kaitiakitanga.
what we'll be doing in the future
- Over the next five years, we want to establish 1000 native plants up on the mountain.
- By 2024, we want to have reseeded 50ha of disturbed land.